Thursday, April 14, 2005

Not habbin' any of it

Every once in a while I read back through these posts and think they sound like they were written by a crazy woman: tra-la-la, things are rosy; boo-hoo-hoo, things are icky.

So if yesterday was rosy, today was...hm...less than. I stopped by the hospital after a meeting at noon (it's on the same hill as the capitol building, by the way; Tim's room overlooks the whole city from capitol to cathedral to airport and beyond). I found Tim lying in bed half-asleep, half-dressed. He looked darkly at me.

What was wrong? Oh, nothing but buyer's remorse. This cute little medical timeshare condo we thought we'd bought, with all the lovely recreational facilities, is actually a prison cell where no one comes when you call and call, and you lie in bed being ignored and wasting away.

I stayed for a couple of hours and we took turns doing the dissatisfied customer/patient routine while the staff took our double team more seriously. Then I went on to do my real day's work. At 6:00 I checked in by phone and all was much better, Tim reported. He had a temp of about 100, but otherwise was doing ok.

So I kicked back, had a meal, watched tv, fed the animals, and answered the phone at 7:45 to learn that Tim had a temp of 102. No good explanation, now or during the subsequent couple of hours I spent down at the hospital. But the fever did come down right away to 99, and he needed a lot of lung suctioning, and the RT hears noises in his upper right lung. So tomorrow he'll see the ONE doctor in the whole hospital, and we'll find out what's up.

Sigh. Stay tuned for the next chapter (which is bound to be a tra-la-la delight).

No comments: