Sunday, April 17, 2005

Quiet day

Well, we got what we hoped for--a good quiet day today. Tim's IV antibiotic (cefepime/maxipime) got started last night, and his temp was down under 98 until late this afternoon, when it started trending up. It had remained stable when I left at 9:00, at around 100.9. In other medication news, he hasn't had to have the cardizem since he's been at the rehab hospital. The order is to administer it if his heart rate is above 60, and it's been at its normal below-60 level most of the time.

We started learning more about the home ventilator, the LP10. Tim got an introduction to it from his respiratory therapist on Friday, and today I printed out the user manual and Tim and I went over all the dials and lights this evening. It doesn't seem too daunting, especially since he's not dependent on it (i.e., if it failed completely, he would still be able to breathe, as he's doing 16 hours a day without it). One good thing about the ventilator: he says that with it he's getting a good night's sleep.

A very nice woman who sits near us at church asked me yesterday when I was wrapping up communion for Tim if I needed a pyx. Today she brought one by; it's a very small silver box (but lined with gold finished metal, as it should be), round and about the size of a watch case (but not as fancy as any of these). Now when I go to communion I can bring the host (or morsel of wheat bread at our church) back to Tim. He'll like that, since the EMs used to visit daily at the last hospital, but not so often here.

Got some sun, got a walk around the lake, got some house stuff done. And that's the update at the end of week 2.

No comments: